A Blip is the generic name of a family of glitches that allow the player to land prematurely, which can be abused to jump higher.
It's the result of unintended effects of Stepping mechanics applied to falling motion.
There are two types of blips:
- The Blip-Up, which involves landing on the seem
- The Wall Blip, which involves landing next to an X-facing hole in a wall.
- The Player must be able to land on the ground directly below them with their current Y speed.
- The Player must be able to collide with the blip's wall with their current X/Z speed if they were to be on ground.
- The top of the blip must be less than 0.6m above the Player's current Y position.
If the blip doesn't extend up to the Player's current Y position (which can happen with enough falling speed), the Y position won't be changed at all, but a landing collision will be registered, and they will be able to jump on the next tick.
[Placeholder - Image illustrating conditions]
- 1.14: Blips are partly patched, you can no longer jump midair, but can still clip onto ledges.
- 1.15: A new glitch allows entities to cancel fall damage when blipping.
Each consecutive blip adds an extra 0.104 to your Y position, until the conditions for blipping are no longer met.
- You can only blip once on 3 snow layers (4px) -> +0.104
- You can chain up to 2 blips on a trapdoor (3px) -> +0.208
- You can chain up to 3 blips on a carpet* (1px) -> +0.312
- You can chain up to 4 blips on a lilypad (0.25 px) -> +0.416
(*) You can blip 4 times on a carpet if you start from the lower part of the blip, but you lose some initial height doing so (+0.353)
1.8 and 1.9+ Difference
Because you jump higher (1.252 compared to 1.249), blip jumps are a bit different in 1.9+
For chained blip jumps in 1.9+, each consecutive blip adds 0.121 to your initial Y position.
- You can only blip once on 3 snow layers (4px) -> +0.121
- You can chain up to 2 blips on a repeater (2px) -> +0.242
- You can chain up to 3 blips on a carpet (1px) -> +0.363
- You can no longer chain 4 blips on a lilypad or carpet.